Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 20 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 22

We have 2 member(s), 6 spiders, 20 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
phsarge, backbencher

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (53):

how to do a 7.62x54r bren conversion
Weaponeer Forums : BREN, ZB26, ZB30, ZB39

Posted in BREN, ZB26, ZB30, ZB39
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  041x

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: June 29 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote 041x

kevin917z wrote:
so how does one go about gettting a 54r conversion done, in the past people just get a spare barrel chambered for 54r and open the bolt face and go to shooting, are you saying they havent headspaced their barrels and this is dangerous?

By face of chamber do you mean where the rim sits on the barrel?

Thanks for letting me know how WLA headspaces there guns.

Yes I mean the face of the chamber is where the rim sits. 

I just looked and the headspacing spec for the .303 bren from the bolt face to the chamber face is .064"-.074".   When you purchase headspace gauges for a .303 the rims are the only places that are precision ground.   When converting it 7.62 x 54 I would chamber the barrel and have your complete gun right there to verify that it is headspaced correctly with gauges.  I haven't done a conversion but that what I would do to make sure you have no doubts.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View 041x's Profile Search for other posts by 041x Visit 041x's Homepage

kevin917z

E-3
E-3

Posted: June 29 2007 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote kevin917z

if i have someone else rechamber the barrel, instead of making adjustments to the barrel, couldn't i remove some metal from the bolt face where the rim sits?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View kevin917z's Profile Search for other posts by kevin917z

041x

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: June 29 2007 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote 041x

kevin917z wrote:
if i have someone else rechamber the barrel, instead of making adjustments to the barrel, couldn't i remove some metal from the bolt face where the rim sits?

That would also work as long as it isn't to much where the pocket is to deep causing the front of the bolt to bottom out on the barrel.  If you have access to a lathe I would rent a chamber reamer for $45 and do it yourself.  If your going to modify the bolt I would pick up another bolt and do the semi mods to it so you still have your .303 setup.  Also if you use a different bolt you could headspace it the WLA and grind on the back of the bolt until it is good.  Do you have a couple of Bren parts kits laying around?  If you do I would measure the length of the bolt locking blocks and maybe you'll have one that is the length you'll need.

kevin917z

E-3
E-3

Posted: June 30 2007 at 1:13am | IP Logged Quote kevin917z

i have a spare bolt now, that i will use in my non wiselite (historic arms)
bren, for shooting 54r

the bolt front hits the inside of the receiver where there is 2 flat surfaces, it doesnt ever touch the barrel, that is why i think i could remove some metal from the bolt face itself, as long as its not that much metal

i dont know what your talking about measuring though

on my zb39 mags they front of the mag isnt pushing up hard enough so the rounds wont feed, they run into the front of the mag and it holds the bolt back :(

041x

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: June 30 2007 at 1:25am | IP Logged Quote 041x

kevin917z wrote:

i dont know what your talking about measuring though

The piece I'm talking about measuring it the piece that bolts into the receiver with one large screw and the back of the bolt locks against it.  They made different ones which you can interchange to adjust headspacing.

kevin917z

E-3
E-3

Posted: June 30 2007 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote kevin917z

oh ok, the locking shoulder now i know what you mean

Tank Commander

SM
SM

Posted: July 01 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Tank Commander

sts440 wrote:

Just because something is quick-change does not mean that it isn't headspaced.  Manufacturing tolerance and wear will affect headspace.  From the Navy side of the house, M-60E4's (quick-change barrels) and M-240's (quick-change barrels) are shipped with one extra barrel with a serial number matched to the gun.  Both barrels are headspaced at Crane for that particular gun and are not supposed to be swapped with other guns.  Presumably, other guns that use quick-change barrels are also matched to their barrels.

Very true!  As an M60A3 and a M1 series tanker I can confirm that the M240 barrels are headspaced to each weapon.

I can't tell you how many times the unit armorer would come into the weapons cleaning shack yelling about some "onion headed tanker" had gotten his 240 barrels mixed up and how he was going to have to recheck the headspace on all the 240's!  

Our response was usually, "Yeah? So what's your point?  You are the Armorer.  You LIKE doing that stuff!" 

Anyway, get some barrels properly spaced and keep them with THAT weapon.  That's my suggestion.

View Tank Commander's Profile Search for other posts by Tank Commander

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 01 2007 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

ours were the same.  I had a dog tag with the SN wired to the barrels so they didn't get mixed up.

<< Prev Topic BREN, ZB26, ZB30, ZB39 Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version